Wednesday 6 May 2009

Midweek post . .


I know, I know after me saying I can only seem to post on Saturdays I find myself here on a Wednesday writing a post. I have to go out later but have a couple of hours free so here goes.


This is what I made today...


NOT really - lol ! It's a cheater fabric I just bought and as soon as I saw it I wanted it for the back of a quilt I'm planning on basting soon. I don't often buy fabrics specifically for backing - I just use what I have. Pieced together usually. I have been to Abakhan Fabrics and had a lovely time. As I've said before it's a bit hit or miss there. Last time I went I came home with a yard of interfacing :-( But today was a hit. Bought 15 metres for about £24. Good quality stuff.




The one on the right is Vera Bradley and completely unlike anything I normally buy. It just spoke to me and told me it wanted to be a bag. I've seen a pattern somewhere for a weekender bag - will have a search soon.


Here are my crappy stars with sashing. I think that name has stuck - lol..




I added the little four-patch cornerstones for a bit of oomph. The turquoise is really bright and looks fine - I did have my doubts but then I always do. I love the sashing fabric. From my stash and just what I wanted.


And I have added another round onto my log cabin sampler. Cute stitchery flowers.



The right side piece I've added is ready for some applique triangles. Will sort through my scrap bag later for some odd bits.

Just off to wash my new fabric. I always wash it straightaway. I know lots of you don't prewash but I like the feel of the fabric better when it's softer. Do you wash or not ?


Have fun xx
Edit - No I don't really think my stars are crappy - in fact I love them. This is the name that my DD Jess ( who doesn't understand my obsession with quilting ) gave them when I told her they were called scrappy stars. Hmm she said crappy stars more like - lol !

28 comments:

Ruth said...

I love the star quilt! I always wash my fabric, unless it's charm squares or rolls of strips. I only have one quilt made out of charms that I have washed and it was fine. I use the color catcher whenever I wash the fabric or a quilt.

Tina said...

I prewash too. Love your stars, and that house with the stitcheries is soooo cute!

Colleen formerly of South Africa said...

It all looks lovely. Love the stars.

Elsie Montgomery said...

That backing fabric would be an interesting one to use in 'quilting from the back' following the pattern.

I like your 'crappy' stars too. Kids are lovely with words, aren't they!

Gail said...

I always wash, even scraps, as I am often allergic to the sizing in the fabric plus I hand piece and it's easier to handle. Love your Crappy Stars! How is Jess these days?

Shawn said...

I love the star quilt too! Turquoise is one of my favorite colors and looks very cool with the browns.

Lisa Boyer said...

The Crappy Stars is so cute! Love the name. I just love crappy quilts. I prewash too, exactly because I love soft craps to work with. (Okay...now this is getting gross...I better stop....)

Anonymous said...

Your work is so cute. Love it!

Vivian said...

I really like your aqua and brown crappy stars with that added oomph in the cornerstones. Gorgeous! Isn't it funny how some random names just stick to quilts, and nothing else could be better? Your Crappy Stars are encouraging me to get out my Buggy Barn patterns and books.

Boyett-Brinkley said...

I don't think your stars are crappy! I rather like that quilt. And, yes, for the most part, I do wash my fabric but sometimes I can't wait to cut into it so I chop away and hope for the best!

Roseanne said...

you have been very busy .I just love all you work that you do. the crappy quilt is lovely.

Michelle said...

Your crappy stars are lovely I really like the colour combination. I almost always pre-wash, the exceptions are jellyrolls and charm squares etc.

Rachel said...

I love your stars; they're not crappy at all! The brown and turquoise combination is lovely.
I don't pre-wash, mostly because it takes too much time and when I'm ready or have time to sew I just want to jump in.

Fiona said...

Love the crappy stars. I don't pre-wash new fabric because I like the slightly stiff feel of the unwashed fabric and also, I am far too lazy. That said, I also like using recycled fabric that has probably been washed loads of times and I have to give it another wash when I've brought it home from the charity shop.

A Time for Stitching said...

I love the scrappy stars design, the colours are lovely together. I'd love to try this sometime.

I always wash new fabric because I'd kick myself if a project was spoiled because I hadn't done it.

Unknown said...

I made the same crappy stars, just different colors. I have yet to put them in a setting. They are still only blocks. I really need to do that!! I like the setting for yours. Yes, I do wash my fabric for several reasons, shrinkage, bleeding, and to get all the sizing out that they put in when it is manufactured.

Unknown said...

I believed you for a few seconds that you had sewed the preprinted fabric :( I prewash as soon as I buy the fabric as you do.

Quilter Kathy said...

The stars turned out great!
I don't prewash if the fabric is for wallhangings or minis, but if it is for a bed quilt, I always prewash.

Floss said...

I love the crappy stars. I normally don't prewash, but just had a quilt that I finished a couple of years ago colour run. Will have to see if I can fix it.

meggie said...

I love your SCRAPPY Stars! LOL.
Alos love your cheater backing.
I always wash my fabrics, it is a little ritual I really enjoy, & it certainly amazes me how much some colours bleed!
Your stitcheries are darlingXX

Mad about Craft said...

Everything is beautiful!!!!

Rose Marie said...

Scrappy or crappy .... love the quilt!

Lady of the Cloth said...

Love the star quilt. I don't wash fabric anymore. I used to but I like the crisp finish on unwashed fabric and I don't have the time to iron it. Now if it is something that looks like it may bleed, I test it and wash if necessary.

Sue Wild said...

My friend made a "crappy quilt". She programmed her machine with the letters for the label and it should have been "scrappy" but ended up being "crappy". Crappy or not the star quilt is lovely and the little four patch squares really set it off.

*karendianne. said...

Great post. The name crappy stars is hilarious!!!

Christy said...

I was so jealous when I read that you made that Seven Sisters in a day! I did make one that took me eons ... if I had only known they make fabric like that! :) I also like your "crappy" stars quilt. Did you find the pattern online somewhere?

Christy said...

Whoops, nevermind about the scrappy stars question ... I just read your previous entry! :)

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh your log cabin sampler is sooo cool. Especially the stitchery!